Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Live Review 012-Before Their Eyes

 

Live performance:***     Times Seen:1
Before Their Eyes (2007)-7.6
The Dawn of My Death (2008)-7.4
Untouchable (2010)-6.8
Redemption (2012)-6.5
Midwest Modesty (2015)-

Genre 1:Post-Hardcore
Genre 2:Metalcore
Genre 3:Religious
For Fans Of:Chiodos, Blessthefall, Silverstein, Alesana, Eyes Set To Kill, A Day To Remember, Catchy Post-Hardcore, Good live shows, Christian themes
Formed In:2006
Status:Finished up an album


.

Before Their Eyes released their self titled debut during an age of fierce competition. In 2007  old school Post-Hardcore was dying out and new Post-Hardcore was making it’s rise. These bands already had their debuts out and were gettng used to the styles they wanted. (Escape The Fate, Blessthefall to name a few) Before Their Eyes gets it right on the first try. They have a decently original twist of melody, and energetic pop-punk, post-hardcore fusion. What really impresses me is how dynamic the song writing is. They’re almost like Arsonists Get All The Girls with the different styles they implement and transmute into their own genre.



I’d say the relation to catchy lyrics and teenage angst is not imagined. While I can still jam out to tracks like Life Was All A Dream or So In Love, these are largely songs I was into when I was younger. I’d say this point is best backed up by all the youtube comments on Before Their Eyes songs. AND I QUOTE: Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 is a nigger. lololololololololololololol 
“I love this band xD” and so on. Anyway, after the self titled BTE’s second album has a few better tracks, but is brought down by others. While the debut had absolutely no filler tracks or over produced rubbish, I cannot honestly say the same for The Dawn of My Death. 





Untouchable was more of what you would expect. The first track starts off “heavy” to draw in some of the older fans. There are some pretty decent songs such as “Start With Today” but it really feels like Before Their Eyes lost most of the traits that helped set them apart from other bands. This album is definitely poppier than prior releases, which isn’t necessary a bad thing, but I don’t know if they know which audience they want to please. All in all, the worst part of this album is definitely it’s album art.





Redemption was a very unimpressive album. To me, I felt it was extremely over-produced. The heavy parts seem to be telling me “Hey don’t worry, we are still heavy!” and the poppy choruses tell me “It’s okay, we’re not only heavy. Redemption may not have been a Rise Records album, but you honestly could have fooled me because they sound like most of the other bands on that label. Ironic how their Rise albums were superior. One can only hope Before Their Eye’s next release is as original and honest as the first two releases were.


-Live Review-
Before Their Eyes was one of the first bands I saw in a local atmosphere. They were the opener at a Crazy Donkey show. I thought they were pretty awesome. They were energetic, and powerful. Their sound was just like on the record. I went to their merch table (first time in my life doing that) and said “Wow that band was cool” but then I realized the merch guy was also their vocalist Nick. He was very kind and down to Earth. I don’t remember how the next part transpired, but then he hugged me. I awkwardly told him he was a “great hugger” only it wasn’t awkward somehow. You could really tell these guys loved what they do. It’s never too late for them to come out with a fire album. This band possesses talent, if they utulize it more the new album still has potential. I’d like to think these guys can still outdo themselves.

Recommended Tracks:City In A Snow Globe, Why Is 6 Afraid of 7?, Close Your Eyes It’s Okay To Rest Now, Life Was All A Dream








No comments:

Post a Comment