Thursday, January 19, 2017

Live Review 014-Bela Kiss [LONG ISLAND]

image

Live performance:*****     Times Seen:2
For Those Who Don’t Believe (2005)-7.3
The Horde (2008)-7.8
Genre 1:Metalcore
Genre 2:Post-Hardcore
Genre 3:Melodic Hardcore
Formed In:2003
Status:Waiting for the next reunion show.
-Discography Overview-
image
If you live on Long Island and consider yourself a part of the music scene, specifically the metal or hardcore scene, it is very likely you have already heard of Bela Kiss. They are somewhat of a local legend, one that is told to kids before they go to sleep, or when you’re 100 and you tell your grandkids about the crazy shit at shows you’ve seen throughout your life. When people talk about Bela Kiss, For Those Don’t Believe is always the album people are thinking about. This album came out 10 years ago, and demonstrates how critical genres that were on the rise back then such as Post-Hardcore and Metalcore were. If you like breakdowns, this is the album for you.This album goes from 0 to T-1000 reaaaaaal quick. If you don’t like T-1000 you don’t like Bela Kiss. Simple as that. Curiously, this song became a meme and the most known Bela Kiss song. Despite the heavy and soft crescendos throughout and the cheesy lyrics (I love cheesy stuff though) Nick the vocalist manages to add an extra layer of appeal to the band. His vocal range and inflection are a charming and welcome addition helping make the band stand out from others. This album truly comes to shine, when you hear it live. The heavy display of energy is one you don’t want to miss. The whole room is guaranteed to move.
The Horde, Bela Kiss’s sophomore follow up album sounds like a completely different band. This album is more melodic and matured. It’s not just breakdown after breakdown with clean guitar riffs inserted in between. The musicianship improved alongside the song writing as well. Apparently a lot can change in two years. “Lights! Camera! Action!” has all of the best Bela Kiss qualities in one. Fast melodies, a heavy breakdown, clean singing, and good riffs. The end of the song flows perfectly into the next track “Relive The Shakes of 1980″. This album shows that the band had a lot of untapped potential. Unfortunately, Bela Kiss broke up before we could see them peak talent-wise. 
image

-Live Review-
One of my first local shows was back in 2009 at The Crazy Donkey. The only band I knew was Dr.Acula and my friend’s opening band Anaception. When Bela Kiss was about to play, I asked my elder cousin if he knew them. Being in the scene for several years longer than me, he said “Yes, they’re sick!” and sick they definitely were. Me and a girl I met that night (of whom I’d later end up dating, lol hi Maria) enjoyed the show up front by the stage taking in the whole experience up close. I was blown away. Back then I knew nothing of mosh culture, and I wasn’t even aware if there was a pit which I’m sure there was. By the end of the night, I liked that band even more than Dr. Acula. I went to the merch table and talked to a member named Nick Prainito. He was very nice and it made me happy to know that the frontman of this band was kind and easy going. I bought their sophomore album with the limited money I had and Nick signed it saying “Mike, thank you always”. I still have it to this day. That moment really inspired me when I was younger, and I decided to aspire to reflect Nick’s kindness if I ever reached any level of fame.
The Second time I saw Bela Kiss was for Fall Mixtapes (in like 2013?) and they played at Revolution Bar in Amityville. This was one of the craziest shows I’ve ever been to at Revolution. This time, since it was several years later, I knew all of Bela Kiss’ songs enough to differentiate between the albums. Despite regard for my own safety, I went in the pit mostly occupied by men 10 years my senior. It was fun as hell. It was completely different from my first experience with Bela Kiss, and it remains to this day the best crowd participation I’ve ever seen for a local band. The entire bar moved left to right. 
The Bela Kiss legend will continue to live on, and more fans in the younger generate will begin to prepare themselves for the next Bela Kiss reunion show. Trust me when I say, you won’t want to miss it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment