Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Live Review 019-Atlas Concept



Live performance:****     Times Seen:1
Atlas Concept (2014): 9.7
Genre 1: Progressive Metal
Genre 2: Instrumental 
Genre 3: Math Metal
For Fans Of: Scale The Summit; The Contortionist; Cloudkicker; The Ocean; Pelican; Plini; Intervals; Between the Buried & Me; Animals As Leaders; chill vibes; guitar shredding; climbing music. 
Formed In: 2013
Status: Working on new music, playing shows. 
Label: Unsigned
Location: Staunton, Virginia




Atlas Concept is a progressive metal band from the far away land of Virginia. I had the pleasure of helping book them a Long Island date on their tour. Huge shout out to Harold from Fall of The Albatross. Without him, I would have never known this wonderful band exists. You can tell right away from listening to the opening track "Tessellate" that Atlas Concept is a beautiful and adventurous sounding band, with serene but powerful riffs and the perfect bass and drums combo. This debut EP is great for chillaxed background listening, or an epic instrumental theme for those who like to go outside and take music on a journey with them. The progressions and melodies are done expertly throughout the debut EP, but the first song alone displays all the different perspectives the band has to offer us. The second song, adequately titled "Stardust", is a beautiful guitar and bass interlude that leaves as quickly as it arrives. Atlas Concept probably could have put this interlude between every track or made this one ten minutes and I wouldn't have minded either. "Primitive Nuances" starts off slowly, and builds up faster and faster. The guitar work on this track is utterly phenomenal. Atlas Concept may sound a lot like Scale the Summit, but they are by all means, a very original and uniquely expressive band. "Kunai" further backs up my last statement. This track is tense, groovy, and heavy. All of the instruments work together to make "Kunai" as extreme and mathy as possible, replete with catchy riffs. If your head isn't bobbing to this track, then maybe you need to raise the volume. It's super impressive to me that this band would not function as well if there wasn't a good drummer and bassist able to follow the guitar work precisely. This dynamic is changed up completely, when the next interlude kicks in. My statement from before also applies. I could listen to an album of mellow music by Atlas Concept that's how good they are at doing serene music. "Construct" is another track that blends an interesting dynamic of their guitar work and an insane post-rock interlude in the middle of the song. These dudes are seriously great at composing beautiful artistic songs. "Construct" is the album closer, and it fills that role perfectly. Another compliment I want to give these guys, is how well they organized their track list. From start to finish, their debut is fantastic and well-paced. Thanks guys for giving me another incredible album to listen to when I fall asleep, or go on hikes! 

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing musical instruments, people on stage, guitar and text


I only listened to one track by Atlas Concept before, seeing them live. I just wanted to make sure I liked all the bands I was booking, but I didn't want to spoil anything. They blew me away with an ocean of powerful prog music. I can't think of any band on Long Island that composes music such as they do, so it definitely helped me appreciate how insane Atlas Concept is live. There was no doubt that I would get their music after. I highly recommend catching this band live if they are playing near you, and if they aren't then go download or buy their music and wait until they do, I promise it'll be worth it. I'm definitely waiting to see them again, especially now that I know their music a lot better. One can only imagine how good and epic the next release will be. I have high hopes it'll be as impressive as their self-titled EP. I suspect the new record may even have vocals this time around...

You can listen/download/buy their music on Bandcamp here: https://atlasconcept.bandcamp.com/album/atlas-concept

Make sure you like them on Facebook too, it's a crime they only have 500 likes. Fix that here -->  https://www.facebook.com/AtlasConceptBand/


No comments:

Post a Comment